Thursday, November 5, 2009

No more Santa

I kept it up as long as I could. They've heard whispering among their friends that he wasn't real and it's been questioned before which I've always managed to cover up. This time I pretty much blew it all on my own.

Santa came up again after dinner one night and as I was walking through the living room I said, "My mom always made sure I had something from Santa." Why did I say that? Why, why, why?

Tristan starts smiling immediately. I give him a look and head up to my bedroom. He follows me and is giggling which starts me giggling. He asks, "What did you just say mom?" I deny everything but it's too late. He heard me and it confirms what he was thinking anyway, Santa's not really real. Of course he has questions, "How do we do it?" "Do we just listen to their conversation with Santa and then buy everything and put his name on it?" "Do I stay up all night to get it all ready or do I do it ahead of time and then keep it all in the storage closet?" Oh my goodness, he's too smart.

I make him promise to not tell Aidan because we shouldn't ruin the fun for him also. He does and I know his word is good.

Forward another week and Aidan asks me point blank, "Mom, is Santa real?" This doesn't come from Tristan but a few of his soccer friends who were talking about it when his soccer coach figured out that Aidan still believed in Santa so she cut the conversation short. I couldn't look him in the eyes and tell another story so out it came. The truth.

Aidan's reply, "Just keep listening to my list Mom. You do a good job getting the presents!"

4 comments:

Jen said...

:(

We never had an official "no more Santa" moment, but none of my kids believe anymore. It's pretty sad, don't you think?

Stephanie said...

At least they weren't really sad about it.

Shelly said...

That was cute how Aidan reacted and I love how inquisitive Tristan is. I think they are at a good age b/c before long they would probably be made fun of by their friends for believing. At least it is done and was accepted well. Love you!

Shea said...

It is sad!!! Kind of takes away the spirit, legend, and story for me. I'm not ready for that part to end.

I think I'm going to try to go along like I always have and see their reactions. We talked about how even though they know the truth we shouldn't ruin the story for little kids and they both agreed.