Sunday, October 2, 2011

If only I could have given him this too.

We all strive to give our kids everything they want. I know that I do. Yesterday was the first day that I couldn't give Tristan what he wanted. To see his disappointment and hurt was almost too much to bear.

He tried out for his seventh grade basketball team. 4 hours with no breaks and 50 boys there for only 12 spots. We all knew that it would be tough but I don't think anyone thought that he wouldn't make it. Well, he had to walk up to the list at school last night and see that his name wasn't there. Oh my gosh, a huge pit appeared in my stomach and I was sick.

His close friends did make the team so we have that aspect too. As you can imagine his cell phone went crazy with text messages and calls so we put that up for a few hours until he could get his emotions under control. He cried when he got home and it killed me. (I'm emotional just writing this today.)

Before bed last night he was doing better. At least we were able to talk about it all. I'm so proud of him though. I think back to the one time that I remember trying out for something and I got so scared that I wouldn't make it that I quit before the actual tryout happened. And when I told my teacher that I was withdrawing; I saw in her eyes that she was super disappointed because I probably would have made it. I wasn't brave enough to tell her that I was afraid that I couldn't learn the dance the way they were teaching it. (Did you guess it? Drill Team in 10th grade.)

Soooooo, I'm a super proud mom right now that he did try. Just wish that this was something that I could have made happen for him too. Between you and I, I did ask Josh to talk to the Coach and he could but he won't. Guess we can chalk this up to a life lesson learned. Everything that has come so easily to him so far should be more appreciated now and he'll eventually learn to work harder for the things he really wants. (Although I don't expect to hear that from him today. We're only 24 hrs into it.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man.. That is very difficult. I am very sorry that it didn't turn out the way we all wanted. This is definitely one of those things that mold you and hopefully help you handle obstacles better. Life just doesn't work out perfectly sometimes and it is very hard to accept. I wish I could make it better as well. I love you Tristan! And Shea, I quit band b/c of not being a good enough drummer and being picked on for being a girl. Middle school is tough as well (probably the worst years of my life). I think as long as we try hard, things work out certain ways for a reason. Love you all, Shelly