Monday, August 17, 2009

Crushing

Here's something that happened to us this weekend that was a first for us!

Tristan had a pal spend the night on Saturday. It wasn't our idea, the other boy mentioned it after soccer and I was fine with it. His mom was willing to give it a try but had reservations because he has called her in the past from other sleepovers at 2 a.m. wanting to come home. Fair warning right?

We ran errands, went to eat, went to see Imagine That at the movie theater, fun, fun, fun! (The movie was a disappointment though. It wasn't really a kids movie because a lot of it was about business stuff, working and what not.) We get home at 7 and the boys hit the park for an hour. 8 o'clock comes and they are downstairs playing games. Tristan and Aidan are so excited because their friend says he's having fun, blah blah. 9 o'clock and I'm making them a snack when his mom calls and wants to chat with him. After they talk, he hands the phone to me and she says, "I'm going to have to come get him. I just asked him if he felt comfortable staying the night and he's not so sure." I really didn't know what to say other than okay.

Of course, I understand her situation and ours really. I would rather it happen now then at 2 a.m. She gets our address again and says that her husband will be over in a bit to pick him up. I hang up and think about how I'm going to tell Tristan and Aidan who have no idea this is happening.

"Guys, ____'s dad is going to come and get him in a bit so let's start helping him get his things together."

Aidan says, "Why is he leaving now?"

I just shrugged my shoulders (yes, it was the easy way out right at the moment!)

Aidan says, "that sucks!!" I couldn't even correct his language because it did suck and you could see in his face that he was crushed.

In the end, he was picked up at 9:50 p.m. and I explained to the boys what happened. They couldn't understand it at all; they really take a lot of pride in being a good friend and making sure that their company is having fun. Our house is usually the place to be!

My theory is that if his mom wouldn't have called, all would have been fine and we would have made it through the night without a problem. But, one never knows.

3 comments:

Shell said...

right.. it almost seems like she created the doubt that he could make it all night.. but you are right.. maybe she had told him in advance she would call and check at a certain time.. who knows.. :)

Stephanie said...

It does seem like she was the one that put the idea in his head. Maybe she has issues with him being gone all night and being away from her. Poor Aidan.

Stephanie said...

It does seem like she was the one that put the idea in his head. Maybe she has issues with him being gone all night and being away from her. Poor Aidan.