Friday, August 22, 2008

Surgery's complete!

Aidan had his surgery to remove his extra tooth today! The little bugger is out and we are now at home doing okay.
Aidan and I while he's enjoying the laughing gas. It didn't seem to do too much, he never got the tingling in his fingers or toes like they said he would. The nurse told us that sometimes at this elevation it's not really effective. Our nurse, Stacey, got his IV in one try and he never even cried. Once he went to sleep, Josh and I left the room and was able to return once the surgery was completed.

Our doctor was a super nice guy and spent a long time with us. There were a few complications, he had a hard time finding the extra tooth. He went in through the roof of the mouth and then tried going through the front of his gums above his two front teeth. He still couldn't see it so went back through the roof but had to cut his nerve in the top of his mouth. We were really sad to hear that because it's very possible that he could have permanent nerve damage there now; but with his age I'm praying that it might grow back together and he won't have to deal with the tingling forever.

Needless to say, he's extremely swollen right now because of all the incisions. His lips are really bothering him , it's like he's busted them both. Plus he has three sutures in the top of his mouth and he can feel them. But overall, I have to say he's dealing with this surgery so much better than I had expected and better than his Dad did a couple of months ago. (the wisdom teeth extractions)Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. I'll keep you updated as I can. The strength of children amazes me! I've never had surgery myself so I can't imagine what it's like but I have immense respect for Aidan. Can you tell he's still trying to show that beautiful smile of his?

6 comments:

Jen said...

Get that boy some Jell-O...STAT!
Good to see he's doing well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything went okay. Love you.

Shea said...

How funny Jen! We made Jello the night before but will have to make more today. He's doing well; he's eaten jello along with oatmeal, ice cream, and popsicles.

Thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

He looks better then the day before!!!

Anonymous said...

Love you Aidan! Thanks for letting us be in the moment with him Shea. Hope he liked his get well gift. Love you! -Shelly

nancy said...

I'm so glad everything went well.