Thursday, June 25, 2009

Soccer Manager Nightmare

It was inevitable that something bad would happen huh?

Got a call from another team manager on Monday at 3:30 and we're talking about practice t-shirts (that's another issue in of itself) and she mentions being on her way to the soccer complex for an age-group practice that starts at 4:30. I ask, "What age-group practice?" She says, "Ours, didn't you get the email?"

No, I didn't get the email so I get off with her quickly and call our coach to ask him about it. He's on his way to the complex also because of course we have an age-group practice and our team is supposed to be there along with the other 3 teams who got the email and are probably already on their way. He tells me, "I sent you the email. I'm not sure why you didn't know about it. Please try to give everyone a call and see if they can make it."

It's now 3:45 and I'm calling our entire team (15 families) to tell them about something that is happening in 45 minutes. This is too crazy. No one can make it with this short of a notice and I look like a complete idiot but I make all of the calls and get Tristan and his friend Joel there with 1 minute to spare. 2 others from our team made it also but this wasn't the showing the coaches had expected. (See, our team rosters aren't official yet. There can still be movement within the 4 teams, which is why they like to take a look at everyone together.)

After the practice our coach does come up to me on his knees and apologize because he checked his email and my address wasn't on it. His fault!! Yes, some redemption here I hope. The following day he sends out an email to our team with an apology and total acceptance of responsibility. Whew, see - I don't want to lose everyone's trust before our season even starts.

Needless to say - I've set up our phone tree system so that if/when this happens again I can make one phone call and the company sends the message out to everyone on the list.

1 comment:

Shell said...

well, i am glad that he sent that email out so the parents knew you were not at fault. whew! how stressful to have to make all those calls at the last minute. talk about getting your heart pumping. ha ha.. :)