Monday, September 22, 2008

Couple at church

This weekend at church we had a couple come up front during the invitational song. I've never seen them before and I don't know how I knew it; but I knew that he was sick. I found myself getting emotional just standing there during the song. Once the song ended, our pastor introduced them and told us what was going on. They were new to the church by only a few weeks and indeed he was sick. He has cancer. They've been married for 48 years and had hoped to make it to 50 but aren't sure that will happen.

I look over to their daughter who is not just crying but bawling, and that just gets me even more. You could obviously see the pain that they were all in but you could also see the love radiating from them all. He's been doing the "bucket list" stuff lately. They renewed their vows last week and he's taken a ride in a jet and a helicopter.

Anyway, not sure if it's the resemblance between him and my grandfather who just passed or just the situation in itself. Life is too short at times and even when you do have 48 years together it's not long enough.

No comments: