Thursday, June 12, 2008

Aidan's thoughts...

Did you know that everyone dies on their birthday? I sure didn’t but somehow that’s what Aidan thought. This is how this all came about:

Aidan: Who’s going to take care of Opal when you die Mom?

Me: Opal probably won’t be around when I die because dogs don’t live that long. But if I was to die soon I’m sure you guys would take care of her.

Aidan: Not me, I’m moving to Florida when I get older and I won’t be here.

Me: So are you saying that I’m going to die when you are 20 or something? That’s too soon!

Josh: 75 is a good number for me. That’s what I’d be happy with.

Aidan: But Mom’s going to die before you Dad!

Me: What??? Why am I going to be the first one to die?

Aidan: Because you’re birthday is before Dad’s!

Priceless! Don’t know where he got this idea but I’m really glad the conversation came up and we could clarify things!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary thoughts.. 75 is good for me too! :) Just let me get 20 yrs of Mexico beach before. Ha. :)

Shea said...

You are going to get to that beach, I know it! Hope I'm with ya!!

Anonymous said...

I'm take 100. My biggest fear is dying so I don't want it to happen.

Shea said...

Aw Steph! I'm not scared of dying but definitely don't want to spend the last of my days/years in a nursing home not able to take care of myself. Plus, I don't want to hurt and be in pain. Suffering isn't what I call living and so I would be willing to move on at that point.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Shea- I am not scared of dying, but if I am older and unable to take care of myself, then I do not want to be here. No nursing homes for me, and no burden to my children. My grandma is 79 almost and it was so sad to see the nursing home she was in. Her only ailment is brittle bones and requires 24 hour care b/c of it, her mind is sharp. To me, that is the saddest- when your mind and body are in different places. Broke my heart to leave her there, but cemented my decision to never be in a place like that b/c of all the other patients I saw in the halls and stuff. Very surreal.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of those 100 year olds that still walk and do okay for themselves. I had a patient once that was 102 and he lived at home by himself and had home health come check on him once a day. He still was in good shape except his eyesight was almost gone but he had no trouble at home where he knew where everything was. He even introduced himself as hi i'm ..... and i'm 102 years old.

Anonymous said...

That's cool about the 102 yr old guy. I will leave as long as I can as long as my body/mind are living with me. So I guess I am with everyone on that one. Ha! :)