Monday, June 23, 2008

Extractions- Not for the faint of heart

Josh had his wisdom teeth extracted this morning. This stuff is no joke. We were a little nervous about it all and now I know why. It's a bit more involved than we had imagined.

He was put to sleep because two of them were sideways and would need to be cut out. (There were three total.) He's never had anesthesia or an iv before so this is completely new! Once I got to him, he was trying to wake up from the anesthesia and had oxygen on. The nurse then went on to tell me how funny he is, sarcastically funny she said. Supposedly he told her he didn't like her name, Lisa. She got a kick out of that! Actually he was telling her that he didn't like this - the iv and procedure but whatever. I'm glad that she took a liking to him. Not matter what the situation Josh is always himself!

Anyway, my husband is a spitter normally. You know, the type that spit out their car windows, practically anytime they are outside. He's not supposed to spit today but he has. He hasn't come out of the anesthesia enough yet to remember this though. We are currently at the point when every time he wakes up he asks the same questions that he did an hour ago. Within the next couple of hours he should come around more.

He's also hard to understand right now due to the gauze and the fact that his mouth is still numb. I can get most of it right now but I have to have him repeat himself. The boys can't understand him at all.

If you are the praying type, say a little prayer for him! I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow but that won't be happening until he can come around a bit more. I'll update again tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwweee....poor Josh... :)

I have been told to get my 3 wisdom teeth out for years now, but have not because I am scared. I want them to put me to sleep, but my dentist does not do that. So I put it off. Good for him for getting it done. It is freaky when they are out of it a bit huh? Repeating themselves and asking the same questions over and over. That is sooo funny about the nurse's name. Ha Ha! Love you!-Shelly

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should go on a shopping spree while he is under the influence and tell him later it was all of his idea- tehe.

Seriously, I am glad it went well and I will let Brian know he is out for basketball this Wed.

Shea said...

Thanks Cat!

Shell, be careful with yours. If they start to bother you at all they can be infected. One had bothered him for a little over a week now but nothing that stopped his normal activities. We found out today that it was infected and now on top of everything else he's on antibiotics also.

He's coming around now also! I'm so glad! Still groggy but at least he remembers what I say. He has no recollection of anything though, not the surgery, not the drive home or the first two hours at home!

Anonymous said...

I have 3 wisdom teeth. The 2 on top have been broken through for a few years now. I've been told that I have plenty of room for them and to let them know if they ever bother me. The one I have on the bottom has never come in (I am missing the other bottom one). Hope Josh gets to feeling better. I hear it's very painful.

Anonymous said...

I have 3 wisdom teeth. The 2 on top have been broken through for a few years now. I've been told that I have plenty of room for them and to let them know if they ever bother me. The one I have on the bottom has never come in (I am missing the other bottom one). Hope Josh gets to feeling better. I hear it's very painful.