Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Karma

We have a 14 year old girl watching the boys off and on for the rest of our summer. It’s only been two days and I’ve noticed a few things that are new to us:

Food is disappearing quickly around the house! Teenagers eat a ton! Not to mention the boys are normally at another location during the work hours and now that they are at home, they help themselves to whatever they may like. (Especially since there aren’t parents around!) I remember when we were growing up my mother talking about how she would grocery shop on a weekly basis and could never get out of the store for under a $100. She could go shopping on the weekend and by Tuesday/Wednesday the cereal, oatmeal, snacks, etc. would be gone. Wow, over the next two months I’m going to feel my mother’s past pain.

Temperature Control – I came in the house yesterday and it felt really cool. Cooler than normal so I asked Tristan to check and tell me what the thermostat said. 67!! I asked him what happened, someone must have changed it? He told me that they went to the park and once they got back, the sitter was hot and she must have turned it down. Wow! How about a ceiling fan or something? This is where the Karma factor kicks in. When we were at home during the summer (granted we are talking Texas here) we did adjust the thermostat. It seemed like our parents kept the home a bit warm so we took the liberty to change it. When they would walk in, I’m sure it was the same feeling that I had yesterday. They would immediately go to the thermostat to check it and get upset that it had been put in the 50’s or 60’s. Of course, no one would admit that they did it – it was always “the ghost”. All I can really say is, “Mom, I get it now.” (I’m not admitting any guilt of course. It couldn’t have always been me, ha!)

Conditions of the home – If you know me well, you know I’m a neat freak. Things may not be necessarily clean but everything is put where it belongs and it’s neat. Every morning when I leave, things are the way I like them. I’m coming home now to God knows what. This is going to be cured soon though because once we take the sitter home, I have the boys helping me put everything up and straightening all of the rooms again. This is done before we do anything else!

Ah, the revelations you get once you become a parent! Love ya Mom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true...so true...so true!!! Ha!

Well, here's a sitter for ya. My sitter came over Saturday night, asked to use the computer to fill out an application for a catering job so I told her it was okay after the girls were in bed (leaving her the password). Well, when I got home she said it took 2 hrs to do the application as it was scenario and essay questions. Then the next day (I guess she forgot I was her Myspace friend) I went on Myspace and saw that she did about 13 of those surveys (like 15 min apart) and started on them 15 min after I left. I read all of her answers and she was just saying she was bored working, etc. I asked Caeli what she did all night and she said she played on the computer. She did these surveys over a 3 hr time span. When did she watch the kids I wonder? I have not brought it up to her yet. Really makes me not trust her as she lied about how long and strenuous it was to fill out that application..am I being overreactive?

Shea said...

Not being overreative at all! She definitely lied to you and now you know that she really didn't do much with the kids that evening.

That's something that I ask the boys about. The one good thing about our sitter right now is that she's an only child and loves playing with the boys. It's shocking to me a bit that she (being a 14 year old girl) will go out and play soccer with them, she'll play their video games, watch their movies, and play board games or cards. They are extremely happy with her.

Not to mention, Tristan said that she makes better lunches than the other one did. Ha! Food - already a way to his heart.

Anonymous said...

That totally made me laugh about the food. What a cutie!

Okay, good.. I will be addressing it with her. No more computer. usually they just watch movies, read books, color, things like that, but I guess she had other intentions this night. Really disappointing.

Anonymous said...

SO, I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT LIKE THE
SAYING SAYS, IT WILL COME BACK TO
HAUNT YOU. I REMEMBER NEVER KNOWING
WHERE OR WHAT YOU GIRLS WERE UP TO.
ALSO, THE CONDITION OF THE HOUSE AND DISHES WERE ENOUGH AFTER A LONG
DAY AT WORK TO SET ME OFF. YOU KNOW I NEVER REALLY YELLED ALOT. HA
MOSTLY SULED...
LOVE YOU MOM

Shea said...

Mom! You posted a comment!!! Yea!

I was wondering if you were going to read that and have something to say. I do hope that you got a laugh out of it though.

I can't imagine what I have coming to me in the next few years with them. You're right, you weren't much of a yeller! You were pretty quiet. Love ya lots!