Monday, July 14, 2008

Best day ever! (Spongebob episode)

It's amazing when you watch your children excel in something. The boys had a great day on Saturday at their soccer tournament. Tristan played really well and his team got 2nd place. Aidan had one of his best games of his life and his team also got 2nd place. (If you or your kids watch Spongebob and you know the episode where he sings, "The Best Day Ever," you'll get my silly reference here.)

Have you ever watched one of your children do something good and it chokes you up? That happened to me. Aidan was playing so well and all of a sudden I went to say something to my girlfriend next to me and I snorted (yep, I'll admit it) and my eyes swelled up with tears. He was simply amazing to me and I was so proud. Parents were congratulating Josh and I; which I didn't understand-I didn't do anything, it was all Aidan. Another parent commented on how his play in the game was a gift not something you can teach a child. I still start to cry thinking about him!

Sunday comes around and we are all a bit exhausted. We slept in until 9:30 and Aidan tells me that his neck hurts. I really didn't think twice about it because I assumed he was just a bit sore from his day before. At 2 p.m. Tristan is looking for Aidan. (I thought they were together so I was shocked to know Tristan had been watching tv for the past hour by himself. Bad mom!!!) Tristan finds Aidan sleeping in his room. This is so unlike Aidan that I checked on him and he was burning up with a 102.7 fever. I asked him what was wrong and again, "my neck really hurts." One thing popped in my head - meningitis! I looked it up on webmd and sure enough he had all the symptoms. Off to the ER we go.

Now, this is not how I expected to spend my day off, at work in the ER for three hours. Come to find out, he has swollen glands but a negative strep test. He's fighting a virus of some kind and high fevers are the norm for Aidan. It wasn't meningitis because he could move his neck around fine, it wasn't stiff. Yep, I overreacted and had to listen to my husband make jokes about me all night. 3 hours in the ER to get some Tylenol and Motrin which I could have done myself at home. I'm going to chalk up my quick decision to rush him to the ER on my lack of sleep and stress from a busy schedule.
Aidan's doing well now, he's still fighting the fever. At 3 this morning it was up to 103 again. I got a free day off due to this (yeah right, you working moms out there know there is not such thing as a free day off. I'll have to do all of the work in less time now.) but I'm happy to be here with the boys.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kisses to Aidan from Auntie Shell!

Shea said...

Thanks Shell! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hope Aiden gets over it quickly and starts to feel better. You're right, time off work to stay home with a sick child can sometimes be worse than going to work. A sick husband isn't much better either. HA!

Shea said...

I agree with ya Steph! That's why sometimes I say that I have 3 kids. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I thought the same as you did - we mothers are wired to over-worry.

I am glad he is doing better, and I am glad I am not the only one who snorts when they are overcome by emotion:))))

Shea said...

I knew we were soul sisters Cat! From one snorter to another! Love ya!