Monday, April 28, 2008

Black sneakers

Complete and utter defiance! And at the age of 9! Ha! And he probably never thought I would notice – he has no idea what his mom used to be like as a young girl.

I have this rule that black high top tennis shoes are not to be worn with shorts. Call me weird but I just don’t think they look right, especially with black socks. Tristan has this thing about attaching himself to one pair of shoes. He may have 5 pairs but when there is a pair that he deems “the perfect ones” he ignores all of the others. So much so, that he ends up growing out of them before actually wearing them.

Anyway, last week was the first week that we had nice enough weather to wear shorts. Tristan has been waiting for this and couldn’t be happier. I specifically said, “If you wear shorts you must wear the white tennis shoes.” Bummed look on his face but he agrees. (The white shoes are $50 brand new shoes but he’s managed to scuff the front of one of them playing soccer and now doesn’t like them so much.)

I greet them from school last week and immediately look down to see white legs, black socks, and black high top shoes. Wow! I told him to take them off and he lost the shoes. He’s now had to suffer for five days with his white shoes and he hasn’t even worn shorts. The coincidence of it all! He will get the shoes back eventually but for right now he thinks they have gone to Africa with the others we sent to the children there.

I found this picture below and it might be why he sees nothing wrong with the black shoes and socks with shorts. Bummer! Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think?





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone has their opinion but I wouldn't have noticed the shoes and socks. Ha! I have my pet peeves too.

Shea said...

Wow, maybe it is a pet peeve! I had never thought of it that way. I must be stuck in the early 90's when white socks and white shoes were the things to wear. Ha! I had never considered that. Now I feel like a mean mom.

Anonymous said...

Girlie, Girlie, Girlie-

Pick your battles carefully. This is one I would not fight:) But, we all have our pet peeves (I hate socks with sandals) and I hate black socks with white shoes, but black shoes with black socks are good. I think I will wear mine the next time we go out:) LMFAO.

Anonymous said...

Okay Shea, Cat CRACKED ME UP! --"pet peeve" is a little hardcore I think. I would say it just didn't fit your taste. But I think he prob looks fine in shorts with black shoes/black socks. What does Josh think? We know he is Mr. GQ. Ha!

Shea said...

Josh only wears his black shoes with black socks to basketball. I don't think he would wear them out anywhere else.

This is too funny! I think I've completely over reacted to this stuff. Cat is completely right!

I don't want to give him the black shoes back though, really I don't. He looks so cute in the white ones.

Anonymous said...

oh come on..give them back.. you know he is at the age of being cool over being cute and black sneakers are cool! :)

(and to make it worse for ya, i am sure those young fast girlies think he is even cuter in those black sneakers.) ha ha!

Shea said...

I'm sure they think he's "hot" since that is the new word nowadays. I almost fell out of the chair when he came home and asked me what that meant. I could totally see him telling them that he wasn't "hot", he felt fine!