Friday, April 25, 2008

Poetry Readings

I’m so frustrated that I don’t have a picture to put up with this post. It’s not that I forgot the camera; my husband insists on using rechargeable batteries but I don’t think that they work as well. My camera would not turn on today!!! That really bites.

Anyway, I was invited to a poetry reading in Tristan’s class and I’m so glad that I went. I normally worry about missing work but I didn’t care today. (Come to find out I didn’t miss much anyway, only 5 babies were born yesterday and its 11:30 with everything caught up. Yes!) Tristan was the eighth student to go (he made sure to tell me what place he signed up for) and he did really well. He is the only one who forgot to introduce himself though. His poems were good, pretty generic though, mostly about soccer, dogs, and rap music.

A couple of lines from the other kids stood out to me. One girl mentioned global warming and how she wished it would end! Another boy dedicated his poems to his parents. He said that even though his mom and dad aren’t together, they are still friends. This made my eyes water, his mom was there also and she cried for a good 10 minutes.

The one that really stabbed at me was the one little boy who at about line 4 of his first poem said, “I wonder why it was an accident that I was born?” Woah. Not sure if it was the realization that at age 9 he is asking that or that I’ve possibly said that in my own life. Not a lot of pregnancies are planned but I do make sure to talk about Aidan’s as a “surprise” not an accident.

3 comments:

Misti D. Mosteller said...

I'm with you on those damn rechargeable batteries. It's the baby swing dying after ten minutes that makes me crazy. Next time my husband is frisky I'm going to tell him, "oops, my rechargable batteries just powered down."

Anonymous said...

Ah....I would not have wanted to miss that either.. :)

Shea said...

Yep, I'm on strike against the batteries! I went out and bought huge packages of AA's and AAA's!Thanks for the laughs Jurl! Your blog is hilarious and extremely relatable.