Thursday, October 23, 2008

Education from other children

I just found out that last week my boys were told some things from our neighbor's 12 or 13 year old daughter. Hang on tight to your seat before you read this one:

They were told that if Obama was to become president he's going to kill babies with acid. They were also told that he doesn't believe in God and is a bad person.

Wow!!

Now, this isn't a political issue for me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I'm not one to normally share mine unless asked. But my boys at the ages of 8 and 10, do not understand the issue of abortion and I don't think that they need to now! My goodness, let them be children. There is plenty of time later in their lives to learn and deal with all of that other stuff.

Thankfully we didn't have to get into a discussion and I didn't have to explain all of this. They, "just knew that she was saying this kind of stuff because she wanted them to vote for McCain. They didn't believe it and they know that he believes in God because they've heard him talking about Him."

Needless to say, they won't be going over there anymore and I will be addressing it with the parents once the opportunity presents itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's horrible! I can't believe that kids that young are even concerned with it. It must have come from there parents or other kids parents saying bad stuff in their presence.

Jen said...

It's amazing to me how into the elections kids get these days. I don't remember caring about politics one bit as a child. The first election I can even remember was the first Clinton election...I was in high school! I'm glad your boys weren't too upset. I'm also glad they came to you with what they heard. That is a sure sign of your strong parenting! Good for you!

Anonymous said...

okay...so i have a lot to say, but am refraining.. yeah right.. ha ha. i am sure she heard that from someone and is at the age where she just believes anything her friends or authority figures tell her. sad.. but most kids go with their parents when it comes to political views so hmmm.. who knows.

tristan and aidan are definitely too smart to believe nonsense like that so that is a WONDERFUL thing! Yay Mommy Shea! :)

and as for my soap box, (what an old term to use..ha ha)...i am so sick of getting anti-obama and anti-mccain emails and crap forwarded to me (personally and at work) b/c i really don't care about reading this propaganda and i can research the party officials and their policies on my own. i am a big girl and do not need to be persuaded. i am voting next week and even i know that the electoral vote decides over the popular vote so i wish everyone would just keep to themselves and stop spreading rumors and misleading calculations of how both parties are going to ruin everything.. bush already did that. (now i have pissed off everyone right? ha ha)

thanks for letting me get it off my chest.. ha ha

love you all.
-shelly

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way Shell! I hate hearing all the anti-whoever compaigns. I really am not into politics at all and that is one of the biggest reasons. Everyone has secrets in their closets and everyone has done something bad. People need to realize that and not get persuaded by influence.

Shea said...

You are all so right! I had heard the same thing from her father upstairs (not to that extent though) so I know she got it from her parents. It's just so inappropriate for young children!

I didn't get into this kind of stuff either until high school. Our kids are exposed to so much more at such a young age. It's difficult at times to let them just be children.

Thanks for listening to my vent about it. It will be addressed tonight I'm sure!