Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Saturday was a bummer!

Tristan's team played one of the worst soccer games I've ever watched in my life! It was embarrassing at points and completely frustrating. Unfortunately, Tristan didn't have a really good game either. He didn't make any huge mistakes but he wasn't that "take-charge" player his coach was counting on. For some reason he didn't give it his all and no one is quite sure why, not even him.

The coach gave his talk at the end of the game and I'm sure it was hard for him to do but it was really hard for me to listen to. He pointed out people specifically for their play, or lack of, I should say. He did point out Tristan also. He said, "Tristan, you normally play at a really high level of soccer and today you didn't meet the game's level. You quit out there." Now, this isn't a rant on the coach - we all thought he might cry during this talk. It was just one of those tough things to do on his part and ours.

We had to drive an hour and forty-five minutes to get home. Foggy weather and all! Tristan and I both cried on the way home. The next day he said he was going to give his coach $20 to help make up for his time and what not on Saturday. We explained that money doesn't buy everything and that wouldn't work. An apology would be acceptable.

On his own, he wrote his coach a letter and took it to him last night at practice. It basically said that he was sorry for the way that he played and from now on he would give 100 % at practices, scrimmages, and games. He said that he played Saturday's game like he was just now learning how to play soccer! (His words!) He ended it - Truly, Tristan.

They had a little talk after the note and we are all moving on. I just can't tell you enough how awesome 9 year olds are! I'm loving every minute of it. He is just the best. Amazing, to say the least. It probably shouldn't be this way at all but there are times that he is my rock. He is so helpful in stressful situations (like the airport cancellation), I never consider him a burden. It's a relief to have him with me.

If anyone watches the Amazing Race. There's this mother/son team and when I watch them it makes me tear up. Their relationship is what I'm hoping to have in ten years or so. I think I've got a good start!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tristan has such a guilty conscience. That could be a good thing or a bad one.

Anonymous said...

That was so moving I almost cried. I do hope you guys maintain such an awesome relationship and what an awesome kiddo for him to know inside that he could do more and to want to strive for more. I am super proud of him. Love you Tristan and you are awesome for being so grown up and for understanding the nature of being true to your team. Love you all -Shelly

Shea said...

I don't think it was a guilty conscious at all. He's a lot like me and we care about what people think of us.

Plus, sometimes you say you're sorry even when you might not need to but doing it makes you feel better. Sounds selfish huh? Maybe it is, but I do it.

That wasn't the case here. He knew immediately that he hadn't given 100% and that's all that we ask of them. Soccer is a very expensive sport at his age and that game was a 2 hr drive for us almost. Lots of factors.