Thursday, October 9, 2008

End of the vacation

Man, what an ending! We had such a great trip until we flew into Denver to find that our flight to the Springs was delayed. It wasn't much at first, 15 minutes. But that turned into an hour, then another hour. At this point, they couldn't even guarantee that we would ever get on the plane due to mechanical issues and the flight could be cancelled. That's all well and good but extremely frustrating when you are only an hour away from your home.

The boys and I decided to try to catch the shuttle but that meant going to baggage and requesting that they pull our bag from the plane. She didn't seem too happy about this and told me it could be 30 minutes or longer before we saw it. The shuttle left in 20 minutes! We ran to the shuttle location but it wasn't there yet, we ran back to the baggage area and waited for the bag which was up in 15 minutes. We ran back to the shuttle area and waited for 15 minutes to decide that we had either missed it by a few minutes or overlooked it completely! UGH!

Luckily, the lady who ran the taxi line was extremely kind and called her friend at the Avis counter for us. (It really helps to have two little heartbreakers with you!) We went to see Avis and were able to get a car that we can turn in here in the Springs this weekend. This was a complete blessing because I had previously asked other car rental desks about a one-way rental and had been told no four times. Thanks Linda and Cassandra!

Made it home at 4 p.m. and had to miss another soccer practice but we are all okay! Wow, I don't ever want to go through that again. I can't even imagine if we would have been in another state or something. Anyway, I have more pictures to share and will do that this weekend. I'm sure there is a pile of work for me to get to at the hospital.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That would be extremely frustrating! Only an hour away and you can't get home. I would have totally been trying to rent a car also. I am glad they helped you out. I can't believe they did not do one way rentals from the airport. How strange as I would think that would be common, but who knows. Anyways, love you guys and am glad you are home. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry the return wasn't fun, but you had fun on the trip right? Love you guys.

Shea said...

We definitely had a good time! I was just a bit stressed about the ending but today I'm feeling a lot better. I'm praying Josh doesn't run into any problems tonight. He's flying in at 10:45 p.m!