Monday, February 11, 2008

Calgon, take me away...

We had a very busy weekend, so sorry for the late post.

Aidan's party went very well. I'm the type of person that envisions the worst and then is thankful when it doesn't turn out to be that bad! Art Sports turned out to be a really neat and easy place to have the party. 14 showed up and played non-stop for 75 minutes. We then went to our party room and low and behold the pizza I had ordered is late. This put me into a little panic because we only had 45 minutes to be finished with pizza, cake, and presents. We poured drinks and then let the birthday boy open some gifts until the pizza made it. The rest all fell into place after that. He scored some great gifts, lots of gift cards and money. It's great to have a big party but he didn't enjoy writing all of the thank you cards :)

The sleepover was next. We made it home around 8 p.m. and the boys started playing in the basement. I have to admit that I was amazed the video game and the tv were never turned on! They were playing on their own, it was a shock. Around 10 Tristan and Aidan started arguing and crying over every little thing so I could tell they were tired. What would you know but they announced that they were going to bed at 10:30 p.m. Hallelouia!

The next morning I had to get up a little earlier than I would have liked for a Saturday so that I could give the boys a little breakfast before they started leaving. The first left at 8:30, the second at 9, the third at 10, and then the last one that was supposed to stay until noon left at 10:30 because his brother was running a high fever. What a gift to have it all over with so early in the day. The only thing is that the brother that was running a high fever was the one who left our house at 8:30. I sure hope we don't come down with something, I'm feeling a little scratchy throat so we'll see. I'm hoping this is just a mind game.

The boys had a soccer game but I missed it to attend Bill's funeral. Sounds like it was a more competitive game, they won 2-1 and Tristan played goalie for most of the game. I hate that I missed it but I'm glad that I went to Bill's funeral. This is only the second funeral I've ever been to in my life. It's so hard!!! Their family did the service themselves, it was very informal. They each went up and said a little something and then opened it up for stories from those who had come. This man was loved and admired by so many, the chapel in the funeral home was full! People were standing in the back also. I think the part that touched me most but also made me feel like I was watching something so personal and private was when my friend Beth went up to the casket to say her last goodbye. She talked to him, touched him and kissed him. It was so moving. The way she handled her last opportunity to see and touch her husband. I will never forget it. I think it's effect on me is also so great because we share some similarities. They were high school sweethearts, married for 32 years. Can you imagine?

Josh left for Alabama yesterday. I haven't talked to him today yet but I do know he made it in last night. He'll be back with us on Friday. I miss him already but the time will go by fast due to our normal weekday schedules. Today's event after school is a parent/teacher conference with Aidan's teacher. I'm praying to hear good news.

No comments: