Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sexual awakening?

The boys and I have had some really interesting conversations lately. I definitely want to be the kind of mom that they feel comfortable talking to about things but I have to admit that I’m clueless when it comes to boys and their own sexuality.

We were in the car and had gone over a hill that took our stomachs a little bit. I’m aware that this also tickles their winkies (their current name for their penises). This must have triggered a thought about how when we are watching TV and something sexy is happening they also have a tickle in their winkie. Before you jump the gun, we don’t allow them to watch sexually explicit shows but occasionally when we are watching a movie we might get surprised by a scene that goes a bit far and we have to fast forward it.

Anyway, I asked something to get a little more info and Tristan tells me, “you know- when the boy and girl are sitting on the bed and kissing and they don’t have a lot of clothes on, I just know that something sexy is going to happen and my winkie tickles and stands up.” Aidan completely agrees with Tristan’s description and was amazed that it wasn’t just him that it happens to. (That was funny!)

I couldn’t help it but had to ask a little more and asked if it was seeing the girl or boy that made him feel that way and he says, “The girl”. I asked Aidan the same questions and he states, “Both!” OMG!! This all at the age of 8 and 9, plus the Truth or Dare experience last Friday. I’m not ready for all of this! Luckily I have Josh and he is so relaxed about it all and down to earth. A little too relaxed if you ask me though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is too funny Shea! It definitely is that time. Jon said that he remembers having explicit thoughts at 10. WOW! You are in for it! Hang in there lady! Love ya-Shelly

Shea said...

10? I'm so not ready for this! If I had girls I think I would feel a little more prepared but I feel really inadequate right now.

Anonymous said...

you hang in there honey and just make sure they are educated b/c that will alleviate some of the need to explore themselves.. at least that is the way i want to see it. ha ha