Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Work related...

I’m assuming a lot of people don’t realize that when you are married and you are pregnant, the State automatically recognizes your husband as the father of the child. Your husband can sign a form stating that he is not the natural father of the child but if he doesn’t the true father’s name can not go on the birth certificate.

You will not believe how many times I’ve discussed this with women lately. They are shocked and upset, and then it turns into anger. Unfortunately they aim their feelings at me until they realize it’s not my rules, it’s the State’s. I’m just shocked that until they meet with me this isn’t an issue or concern to them. What do you think happens when you mess around outside of your marriage? Or if you never finalize something legally and just carry on with your life as if you were never married before?

Not to mention, most of them tell me that their husbands aren’t in contact with them, haven’t been in contact for years, live in another state, they have no idea where he is, or there is a restraining order in place so they can’t contact them, etc...

On another note, how in the world can you afford breast implants when you have Medicaid? I don’t think this surgery is something that Medicaid covers unless you’ve had a mastectomy. Priorities, people, priorities!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i actually thought it was weird that jon never had to sign anything stating he was the father of my kiddos so really, I could have written anyone's name. Weird huh? As far as Medicaid, most people work the system as they can even when they don't need to. Sad, but a reality. Many of my friends have babies and use WIC by lying about their salaries. Trust me, I was referred to do this multiple times as "free money", but I chose not to. To each their own I guess.

Shea said...

You make me proud! I love ya.

When you are married, only one person has to sign the form so the mom can handle the paperwork all on her own. But if you knowingly report something that is false you have to go through court proceedings to correct it and be responsible for all of the court and state fees.